History


New Perth Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized in 1789, making it one of the most historic ARP churches in the United States. Throughout its history, the congregation has met at two sites. The first is off Perth Road where our cemetary is located. Our beginnings were humble. We were first "made official" under a brush arbor, but soon a log church with a dirt floor was built. Not long after that in 1830, another log church was built, but this one had a chimney and wood floors. Then, in 1888, a larger wood frame church was constructed.

At the turn of the century, more and more people were moving to the town of Troutman proper and not as much to country, so the leadership and congregation thought it best to take advantage of the trend. In 1917, they bought a wood frame church building on the coner of West Avenue and Rumple Street, which was owned by a Presbyterian church. Until 1959, services were held at both sites. In 1940, the present worship building was built, with the steeple and education building added later in 1965.

By this summary of our heritage, you can see that our roots in this community run deep. It has pleased the Lord for New Perth to continue and even thrive from the late 18th century now into the 21st. We are proud of our legacy that, by the grace of God, has stood the test of time. However, our eyese are very much focused on the present and the always important future. It is our desire and prayer that the best days of New Perth ARP are ahead of us and not behind us. With our Shepherd leading and guiding we march onward, growing our church family along the way. We are a church with a solid foundation and a shining future in Christ.



New Perth 1888

Perth Road Wood Frame, 1888



New Perth 1917

West Ave Wood Frame, 1917



New Perth 1940

West Ave Sanctuary, 1940



New Perth 1965

West Ave Present Day, Steeple and Education Building Added 1965